Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
Rapid identification of hemoglobin variants by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry
Autore:
Wild, BJ; Green, BN; Cooper, EK; Lalloz, MRA; Erten, S; Stephens, AD; Layton, DM;
Indirizzi:
Univ London Kings Coll Hosp, Dept Haematol Med, London SE5 9RS, England Univ London Kings Coll Hosp London England SE5 9RS ndon SE5 9RS, England Guys Kings & St Thomas Sch Med, Dept Haematol Med, London SE5 9RS, EnglandGuys Kings & St Thomas Sch Med London England SE5 9RS n SE5 9RS, England Micromass UK Ltd, Altrincham WA14 5RZ, Cheshire, England Micromass UK LtdAltrincham Cheshire England WA14 5RZ , Cheshire, England
Titolo Testata:
BLOOD CELLS MOLECULES AND DISEASES
fascicolo: 3, volume: 27, anno: 2001,
pagine: 691 - 704
SICI:
1079-9796(200105/06)27:3<691:RIOHVB>2.0.ZU;2-B
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
HPLC; SEQUENCE; PEPTIDES; SPECTRA; CHAINS; GLOBIN;
Keywords:
human; hemoglobin; variant; mass spectrometry; peptide sequence;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Life Sciences
Citazioni:
31
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Indirizzo: Wild, BJ Univ London Kings Coll Hosp, Dept Haematol Med, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, England Univ London Kings Coll Hosp Denmark Hill London England SE5 9RS
Citazione:
B.J. Wild et al., "Rapid identification of hemoglobin variants by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry", BL CELL M D, 27(3), 2001, pp. 691-704

Abstract

The precise identification of human hemoglobin variants, over 700 human hemoglobin variants are known, is essential for prediction of their clinical and genetic significance. A systematic approach to their rapid identification is described. Traditionally this requires protein or DNA characterization which entails lengthy analytical procedures, To overcome these obstacles a rapid approach to variant hemoglobin identification has been developed using conventional phenotypic methods combined with electrospray ionization-mass spectrometry (ESI-MS). The latter requires only a small amount of wholeblood (10 mul) but in most cases 2 mul would have been sufficient and no preanalytical steps, such as separation of red cells or globin chains, are necessary. Aged, hemolyzed blood samples can also be analyzed. This approachhas been used to positively identify 95% of the variants in over 250 samples. The remaining 5% in which a variant Was detected by phenotypic techniques were not resolved by mass spectrometry. Ninety-nine different abnormalities comprising 36 alpha -chain variants, 59 beta -chain variants (including2 extensions), and 4 hybrid hemoglobins were identified. These include 15 novel variants. The application of ESI-MS described requires approximately 1 h to prepare and analyze each sample and has minimal reagent costs. The turnaround time on a single sample can be as little as 2 h. This technique can now be considered a useful additional tool for reference laboratories. (C) 2001 Academic Press.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 05/04/20 alle ore 22:08:24