Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
Are there specific disabilities of number processing in adolescent patients with Anorexia nervosa? Evidence from clinical and neuropsychological datawhen compared to morphometric measures from magnetic resonance imaging
Autore:
Neumarker, KJ; Bzufka, WM; Dudeck, U; Hein, J; Neumarker, U;
Indirizzi:
Humboldt Univ, Fac Med, Charite Hosp, Clin Child & Adolescent Psychiat & Psychotherapy, D-10098 Berlin, Germany Humboldt Univ Berlin Germany D-10098 chotherapy, D-10098 Berlin, Germany
Titolo Testata:
EUROPEAN CHILD & ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
, volume: 9, anno: 2000, supplemento:, 2
pagine: 111 - 121
SICI:
1018-8827(2000)9:<111:ATSDON>2.0.ZU;2-Y
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
ANORECTIC COGNITIONS QUESTIONNAIRE; BRAIN GLUCOSE-METABOLISM; EATING DISORDERS; BULIMIA-NERVOSA; CORPUS-CALLOSUM; WEIGHT; DEFICITS; GROWTH; REVERSIBILITY; HYPOGLYCEMIA;
Keywords:
disabilities of number processing; anorexia nervosa; clinical, neuropsychological, MRI data;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Citazioni:
71
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Indirizzo: Neumarker, KJ Humboldt Univ, Fac Med, Charite Hosp, Clin Child & Adolescent Psychiat & Psychotherapy, Campus Mitte,Schumannstr 20-21, D-10098 Berlin,Germany Humboldt Univ Campus Mitte,Schumannstr 20-21 Berlin Germany D-10098
Citazione:
K.J. Neumarker et al., "Are there specific disabilities of number processing in adolescent patients with Anorexia nervosa? Evidence from clinical and neuropsychological datawhen compared to morphometric measures from magnetic resonance imaging", EUR CHILD A, 9, 2000, pp. 111-121

Abstract

The cerebral effect of the loss of body weight in Anorexia nervosa (A.n.) - the so - called 'pseudoatrophy' - is well known and confirmed by several neuroimaging studies. Another subject of intensive research has been whether A.n. leads to specific cognitive impairments, especially of intelligence. However, there are no previous studies on the relations between the cerebral changes, intelligence performance, and disorders of number processing inadolescent patients with A.n. We examined n = 18 inpatients with A.n. (means at admission: age 14.5 years, SD 1.59; BMI 14.9, SD 1.36), diagnosed according to ICD-IO criteria at three different timepoints: at admission to treatment (T-1), with 50 % restoration of their normal weight (T-2), and withnormal weight (T-3). At each timepoint, a cerebral MRI scan was obtained. Based on the MRI we determined the volume of the external and internal cerebrospinal fluid cavities, fissures of Sylvius, the surface of mesencephalonand pens, and surface and length of the Corpus callosum. At T-1 and T-3, aneuropsychological examination was conducted including tests of the general fluid ability and general cristallized ability of intelligence (CFT-20), as well as tests of vocabulary and number processing. The same instruments were given to a group of matched controls (means: age 15.8 years, SD 1.57; BMI 20.5, SD 2.3) at one timepoint. We could show a significant volume difference of the lateral ventricles and the fissure of Sylvius between patients at T-1 and controls, which abaded with the patient's weight restoration. But a significant surface deficit of the mesencephalon, and less pronouncedin the pens, persisted to T-3 in patients when compared to controls, suggesting a selectivity of the cerebral changes in A.n. The neuropsychological examinations revealed significant changes in test performance for both the general intelligence test and number processing. At T-1 the number processing performance was significantly lower in patients when compared to controls. However, when the patients had restored their normal body weight, we found 2.02 % with a 'severe disorder of arithmetic skills' and 4.45 % with a 'functional disorder of arithmetic skills'. This combined prevalence of 6.47% of patients with a subnormal arithmetic performance is analogous to thatin the normal population.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 26/01/20 alle ore 00:42:30