Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
EFFECTS OF CHOLESTEROL REDUCTION ON BP RESPONSE TO MENTAL STRESS IN PATIENTS WITH HIGH CHOLESTEROL
Autore:
SUNG BH; IZZO JL; WILSON MF;
Indirizzi:
MILLARD FILLMORE HOSP,DEPT MED,3 GATES CIRCLE BUFFALO NY 14209 SUNY BUFFALO,DEPT MED BUFFALO NY 14260 MILLARD FILLMORE HLTH CARE SYST BUFFALO NY 00000
Titolo Testata:
American journal of hypertension
fascicolo: 6, volume: 10, anno: 1997,
pagine: 592 - 599
SICI:
0895-7061(1997)10:6<592:EOCROB>2.0.ZU;2-A
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
ENDOTHELIUM-DEPENDENT VASODILATION; EXPANDED CLINICAL-EVALUATION; FOREARM RESISTANCE VESSELS; CORONARY-ARTERIES; HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIC HUMANS; VASCULAR REACTIVITY; SERUM-CHOLESTEROL; LOVASTATIN EXCEL; RABBIT AORTA; RELAXATION;
Keywords:
CHOLESTEROL; BLOOD PRESSURE; MENTAL ARITHMETIC TEST; HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Science Citation Index Expanded
Citazioni:
30
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Citazione:
B.H. Sung et al., "EFFECTS OF CHOLESTEROL REDUCTION ON BP RESPONSE TO MENTAL STRESS IN PATIENTS WITH HIGH CHOLESTEROL", American journal of hypertension, 10(6), 1997, pp. 592-599

Abstract

Impaired endothelium-dependent vascular relaxation has been reported in patients with high cholesterol(HC), but the systemic effects of elevated cholesterol on blood pressure (BP) and BP reactivity to stress have not been studied. We examined the BP response to a standard mentalarithmetic test (MAT) in 37 healthy, normotensive HC subjects and 33 normal cholesterol controls (NC). Both groups had similar age, body mass index, and gender distribution. HC had slightly higher systolic BP at baseline (122 v 118 mm Hg, P<.05) than NC and systolic BP response during MAT was significantly higher in HC compared to NC (18 +/- 8 v 10 +/- 5 mm Hg, P<.05). Maximal changes in systolic BP were significantly correlated with cholesterol(R = 0.41, P<.001), whereas heart rate and diastolic BP changes were unrelated to serum cholesterol. To confirm that BP reactivity was dependent on cholesterol, MAT was repeated after treatment with 20 mg/day of lovastatin, a hepatic hydroxymethyl glutaryl coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitor, for 6 weeks using a cross-over design in 26 HC subjects. Lovastatin significantly altered lipid profiles (-26% total cholesterol, +8% HDL, -34% LDL). A small decrease in systolic BP at baseline (-3 mm Hg, P = NS) and significantly lower systolic BP (-8 mm Hg, P <.05) during MAT was observed after thetreatment with lovastatin. In conclusion, patients with high cholesterol had an exaggerated systolic BP response to MAT. Decreased BP reactivity during HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor therapy suggests that lowering cholesterol may have a role in the overall control of BP. (C) 1997 American Journal of Hypertension, Ltd.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 23/10/20 alle ore 10:56:22