Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
Risk-based zoning strategy for soil remediation at an industrial site
Autore:
Al-Yousfi, AB; Hannak, PG; Strunk, JF; Davies, WV; Shah, SI;
Indirizzi:
Union Carbide Corp, S Charleston, WV 25303 USA Union Carbide Corp S Charleston WV USA 25303 , S Charleston, WV 25303 USA
Titolo Testata:
JOURNAL OF SOIL CONTAMINATION
fascicolo: 1, volume: 9, anno: 2000,
pagine: 1 - 12
SICI:
1058-8337(2000)9:1<1:RZSFSR>2.0.ZU;2-2
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Keywords:
risk-based zoning; soil remediation; industrial site; chemical manufacturing;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Agriculture,Biology & Environmental Sciences
Citazioni:
5
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Indirizzo: Al-Yousfi, AB Union Carbide Corp, POB 8361, S Charleston, WV 25303 USA Union Carbide Corp POB 8361 S Charleston WV USA 25303 03 USA
Citazione:
A.B. Al-Yousfi et al., "Risk-based zoning strategy for soil remediation at an industrial site", J SOIL CONT, 9(1), 2000, pp. 1-12

Abstract

After determining at an early stage of the project that the future land use of this New Jersey chemical manufacturing site remain industrial in nature, the site was zoned according to risk. The chemicals of concern (COCs) atthe site included relatively low levels of mono- and polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons, chlorinated aliphatics, as well as other volatile and semivolatile compounds. Direct human exposure scenarios were the key to the mitigation of risks related to soils because the groundwater migration pathway was already interrupted using groundwater recovery. A focused remedial strategy was developed to ensure that the exposure pathways (inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact) are alleviated and the remedial measures are protective to the workers operating and/or maintaining the site. The risk evaluation process included a preliminary risk assessment (Tier 1) based on a comparison with pertinent soil cleanup criteria, a prioritization analysis to rank zones, chemicals and pathways of concern, and an application of the RiskBased Corrective Action (RBCA) approach (Tier 2) for construction worker exposure scenario. The risk assessment identified selected areas that would benefit from remedial actions. Prioritization Analysis classified the site into five high-priority (comprising 97% of the total health-biased risk), three medium-priority (contributing to remaining 2 to 3% of the risk), and adequately protected areas. The boundaries and volumes of affected areas were delineated based on confirmatory soil sampling sind statistical analyses. The remedial technologies selected for the site have achieved appropriate reduction in risk to comply with all State regulations and include (in addition to the institutional controls):Capping the site where only immobile semivolatile contaminants are presentExcavation and on-site treatment of the soils impacted by volatile organiccompounds through ex situ low temperature desorption, or alternative "biopile" treatment and natural attenuation, andExcavation and off-site disposal of limited volumes of soilsThis risk-based, integral approach helped identify the real significance of contamination present at the site and facilitated the development of suitable and adequate remedies. Had not if been for this approach, the mere comparison with soil cleanup criteria would have unnecessarily resulted in denoting all areas as nuisance contributors, and thus requiring some actions. New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) has approved thisapproach and contributed to its accomplishment.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 15/07/20 alle ore 05:25:45