Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
ASSESSMENT OF FERTILIZATION FAILURE AND ABNORMAL FERTILIZATION AFTER INTRACYTOPLASMIC SPERM INJECTION (ICSI)
Autore:
FLAHERTY SP; PAYNE D; SWANN NJ; MATTHEWS CD;
Indirizzi:
UNIV ADELAIDE,QUEEN ELIZABETH HOSP,DEPT OBSTET & GYNAECOL,REPROD MED LABS WOODVILLE SA 5011 AUSTRALIA
Titolo Testata:
Reproduction, fertility and development
fascicolo: 2, volume: 7, anno: 1995,
pagine: 197 - 210
SICI:
1031-3613(1995)7:2<197:AOFFAA>2.0.ZU;2-C
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
HUMAN INVITRO FERTILIZATION; PREMATURE CHROMOSOME CONDENSATION; METAPHASE-II ARREST; HUMAN OOCYTES; SUBZONAL INSEMINATION; PARTHENOGENETIC ACTIVATION; CYTOGENETIC ANALYSIS; EGG ACTIVATION; MOUSE OOCYTES; CALCIUM;
Keywords:
DNA; SPERM HEAD DECONDENSATION; OOCYTE ACTIVATION; PRONUCLEI; CALCIUM; PREMATURE CHROMOSOME CONDENSATION;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Science Citation Index Expanded
Science Citation Index Expanded
Citazioni:
62
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Citazione:
S.P. Flaherty et al., "ASSESSMENT OF FERTILIZATION FAILURE AND ABNORMAL FERTILIZATION AFTER INTRACYTOPLASMIC SPERM INJECTION (ICSI)", Reproduction, fertility and development, 7(2), 1995, pp. 197-210

Abstract

The assessment of fertilization is an important part of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and oocytes are routinely examined about 17h after injection using Nomarski differential interference contrast optics. However, it is not possible to conclusively determine the aetiology of fertilization anomalies in this manner, so cytological studieswere undertaken to determine the causes of failed and abnormal fertilization after ICSI. Oocytes which exhibited no evidence of fertilization, one pronucleus (PN) or 3 PN were fixed in glutaraldehyde, stained with Hoechst 33342 and examined by fluorescence microscopy to identifyPN, metaphase chromosomes, sperm heads and polar bodies. A total of 428 unfertilized oocytes were examined from 170 ICSI cycles. Overall, 82% of these unfertilized oocytes were still at metaphase II (non-activated) while the remaining 18% were activated and had 1 PN and two polar bodies. The majority (71%) of the metaphase II oocytes contained a swollen sperm head, which indicates that the spermatozoon was correctlyinjected but the oocyte did not activate and complete its second meiotic division. The swollen sperm head was located among the metaphase chromosomes in 4.3% of these oocytes, while in some cases (6.6%), the sperm chromosomes had undergone premature chromosome condensation (PCC). Other aetiologies of failed fertilization in these metaphase oocyteswere ejection of the spermatozoon from the oocyte (19%) and complete failure of sperm head decondensation (10%). A similar pattern of anomalies was found in 1 PN oocytes, although the ratios were different (swollen sperm head, 51%; ejection of the spermatozoon, 19%; undecondensed sperm head, 30%). Seventy abnormally fertilized oocytes were also examined, of which 63 had 3 PN and a single polar body, indicating that the unextruded second polar body developed into the third PN. In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that the principal cause of fertilization failure after ICSI is failure of oocyte activation and not ejection of the spermatozoon from the oocyte. It is also apparent that further studies are needed to elucidate the mechanisms that control oocyte activation and sperm head decondensation in injected oocytes.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 28/11/20 alle ore 21:54:04