Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
PARABRACHIAL AREA - ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FOR AN INVOLVEMENT IN COLD NOCICEPTION
Autore:
MENENDEZ L; BESTER H; BESSON JM; BERNARD JF;
Indirizzi:
INSERM,U161,UNITE RECH PHYSIOPHARMACOL SYST NERVEUX,2 RUE ALESIA F-75014 PARIS FRANCE INSERM,U161,UNITE RECH PHYSIOPHARMACOL SYST NERVEUX F-75014 PARIS FRANCE ECOLE PRAT HAUTES ETUD F-75014 PARIS FRANCE
Titolo Testata:
Journal of neurophysiology
fascicolo: 5, volume: 75, anno: 1996,
pagine: 2099 - 2116
SICI:
0022-3077(1996)75:5<2099:PA-EEF>2.0.ZU;2-4
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
PHASEOLUS-VULGARIS LEUKOAGGLUTININ; CAUDAL MESENCEPHALIC CONTROL; RENAL VASCULAR-RESISTANCE; BRAIN-STEM PROJECTIONS; LAMINA-I CELLS; DORSAL HORN; EFFERENT PROJECTIONS; SOLITARY TRACT; ELECTRICAL-STIMULATION; ARTERIAL-PRESSURE;
Tipo documento:
Review
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
Science Citation Index Expanded
Science Citation Index Expanded
Citazioni:
118
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Citazione:
L. Menendez et al., "PARABRACHIAL AREA - ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FOR AN INVOLVEMENT IN COLD NOCICEPTION", Journal of neurophysiology, 75(5), 1996, pp. 2099-2116

Abstract

1. Thirty-five percent of 120 neurons recorded extracellularly in theparabrachial (PB) area of anesthetized rats responded to a peripheralcold stimulus (0 degrees C). The cold-sensitive neurons were located in the lateral PB area, and most of those exhibiting a strong responseto cold stimuli were inside or in close vicinity to the area receiving a high density of projections from superficial neurons of the dorsalhorn. 2. The receptive fields for cold stimulation often were restricted to one or two parts of the body with a contralateral predominance for the limbs. No side predominance was observed for the face. 3. Froma low spontaneous activity (10th percentile < median < 90th percentile: 0.1 < 1.5 < 5 Hz), the PB neurons responded to cold noxious stimuli(0 degrees C water bath or waterjet, 20 s), without observable delay,with a sustained discharge. The mean maximal response to the stimuluswas 16.1 +/- 1.2 Hz (mean +/- SE; n = 42). 4. About one-half (45%) ofthese cold-sensitive neurons were activated specifically by cold stimulation and did not respond or were inhibited by noxious heat and/or pinch. The remaining (55%) cold-sensitive neurons were also driven by heat and/or pinch. 5. The cold-sensitive neurons exhibited a clear capacity to encode cold stimuli in the noxious range: the stimulus-response function was always positive and monotonic from 30 to 0 degrees C; the mean curve was linear between 20 and 0 degrees C before plateauing between 0 to -10 degrees C; the mean threshold to cold stimulation was17.1 +/- 1 degrees C (n = 21) and the mean t(50) was 10.7 +/- 1.1 degrees C (n = 13). 6. The cold-sensitive neurons responded to intense transcutaneous electrical stimulation with an early and/or a late peak of activation, the latencies of which were in the 15-50 ms and 80-170 ms ranges (n = 8), respectively, i.e., compatible with the activation of A delta and C fibers. Interestingly, the cold-specific neurons predominantly responded with a late peak, suggesting these neurons were primarily driven by peripheral C fibers. 7. The intravenous injection of morphine depressed the responses of PB neurons to cold noxious stimuliin a dose-related (1, 3, and 9 mg/kg) and naloxone reversible fashion. The ED(50) value was estimated similar to 2 mg/kg. Furthermore, two populations of neurons could be separated according to their morphine sensitivity. 8. It is concluded that PB cold-nonspecific neurons couldbe involved in affective-emotional, autonomic and neuroendocrine reactions in response to noxious cold events. The PB cold-specific neuronscould be, in addition, involved in some thermoregulatory processes.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 29/03/20 alle ore 08:57:11