Catalogo Articoli (Spogli Riviste)

OPAC HELP

Titolo:
DETECTION OF SIGNALS HAVING EXPECTED AND UNEXPECTED TEMPORAL STRUCTURES
Autore:
WHITE LJ; CARLYON RP;
Indirizzi:
UNIV SUSSEX,EXPT PSYCHOL LAB BRIGHTON BN1 9QG E SUSSEX ENGLAND MRC,APPL PSYCHOL UNIT CAMBRIDGE CB2 2EF ENGLAND
Titolo Testata:
Hearing research
fascicolo: 1-2, volume: 112, anno: 1997,
pagine: 141 - 146
SICI:
0378-5955(1997)112:1-2<141:DOSHEA>2.0.ZU;2-5
Fonte:
ISI
Lingua:
ENG
Soggetto:
SENSORINEURAL HEARING-LOSS; INTEGRATION; MASKING; IMPAIRMENT; DURATIONS; TONES;
Keywords:
TEMPORAL INTEGRATION; MULTIPLE LOOKS; SIGNAL DETECTION THEORY; EXPECTATION;
Tipo documento:
Article
Natura:
Periodico
Settore Disciplinare:
Science Citation Index Expanded
Science Citation Index Expanded
Citazioni:
33
Recensione:
Indirizzi per estratti:
Citazione:
L.J. White e R.P. Carlyon, "DETECTION OF SIGNALS HAVING EXPECTED AND UNEXPECTED TEMPORAL STRUCTURES", Hearing research, 112(1-2), 1997, pp. 141-146

Abstract

Two experiments used a variant of the 'probe-signal' method [Greenberg and Larkin, J. Acoust. Sec. Am. 44 (1968) 1513-1523] to examine the effect of expectedness on the detection of signals having fixed frequencies but uncertain temporal structures. Expectedness was manipulated by presenting one signal on 75% of the trials and the other on only 25% of trials. Experiment 1 measured sensitivity (d') to 4000-Hz sinusoidal signals having durations of 10 ms and 295 ms. The results confirmed the finding by Wright and Dai [J. Acoust. Sec. Am. 95 (1994) 931-938] that sensitivity was poorer when the duration of the signal was unexpected. The second experiment used two signals having the same overallduration: six 10-ms 4000-Hz tone pulses with a 0-ms inter-pulse interval, and two 10-ms 4000-Hz pulses separated by 40 ms. Again, sensitivity was lower when the temporal structure of the signal was unexpected. It is argued that this finding is inconsistent with 'long time constant' models of temporal integration, but can be accounted for by assuming that subjects combine information from a number of short 'looks' atthe signal, with the number and temporal location of these looks being influenced by its expected temporal structure.

ASDD Area Sistemi Dipartimentali e Documentali, Università di Bologna, Catalogo delle riviste ed altri periodici
Documento generato il 03/07/20 alle ore 15:01:37